I'll be happy to exchange links with anyone. Just leave a comment and I'll be happy to.

Sunday, June 15, 2008

Skinny male models


I came across an article in a fashion website the other day. Something about thin males being the in thing in fashion. For the females it'll be like "Stop your whinging...".

For me, I'd be banging my head on the table. When will the fever about thinness end? When will skinny be skinny enough? Young women around the world are striving to be what the fashion world deems beautiful: A tall, thin, lankly and androgynous looking individual. I'm not saying I am immune to the fad. I, myself, have been caught many times, and thus having had unhealthy swings in weight. But, I'm improving now, with help and time, looking for what beauty really is (a deep philosophical question, I must add).

I, like many women, have wished I was tall and skinny. But is that beauty? I see fuller figures everyday and I don't think they're unhealthy. I think that they are beautiful. Think Tyra Banks, Beyonce Knowles and Mariah Carey. Women with curves, women with attitude, women with personality...and women who make a difference for many other women in the world.

I'm sure you're all aware of the Brazilian model sisters who died from anorexia. Many girls suffer from this disorder. And now, the strive for thin male models?? Many boys will suffer from this disorder.

I say more countries should emulate what some European countries have done. A minimum body mass index for models. Sure, many female models are naturally thin. But how does this affect other women who aren't naturally thin? Many choose to starve themselves. The same goes for men. Models aren't only modeling clothes for designers. Many young individuals choose fashion models as MODELS. They want to be like these glamorous people.

Seriously...when will the fad for thinness end???

5 comments:

yiqin; said...

I used to be laughed at for being fat but then I realised, I don't have to bother about what they say about me! I don't understand why there are so many skinny girl who complain about being fat when they are obviously so skinny! :/

Btw, I'd love to exchange links! I have added you :D

Lil Midget said...

I'd hardly call you fat Yi Qin! You look fine in all your pics and I think they're all cute! Yay to us smaller people :)

It's a distorted mirror they look into, I think. They have a broken body image and self image. Not knowing how to separate one from the other. I.E. Thinking at their self is not beautiful because their body isn't (according to the general warped society that is). It's a tough thing to do, especially once you get used to confusing them both.

Anonymous said...

Wow he is really a skinny model

Siljesfashion said...

Very skinny and not so hot to look at I think.

Lil Midget said...

@ Vanilla and Silje: I agree!