I'll be happy to exchange links with anyone. Just leave a comment and I'll be happy to.

Friday, June 13, 2008

Phantom of the Opera





















I love musicals :) Along with The Sound of Music, The Phantom of the Opera is my absolute favourite. What I like about the Phantom musical is the darkness the Phantom portrays. He isn't evil...just alone in his thoughts of rejecting society from the experiences he has had because of his deformity and being called "The Devil's Child" by the gypsies he travelled with as a child. He fell in love with the talented soprano singer, Christine Dae, and saw her as the only bridge he has with the outside world. While he yearns her love and the admiration of the people outside is dark solace, he cannot bring himself to leave his solitude, knowing that people will never accept him. He seeks to bring his one love into his darker world because he is afraid of stepping into hers.

I love the theme song for the musical. My favourite versions of the song are by Sarah Brightman and Antonio Banderas and by Nightwish. I think Banderas makes an EXCELLENT phantom! He plays the part so amazingly well on stage with Sarah Brightman and his voice really suits the song :) FOr the Nightwish version, I love how they've made their own interpretation. As always, Tarja is an excellent classical singer, but I think her deeper voice does not catch the innocence and sweetness that is Christine. Sarah Brightman does this well. Marco's voice, while would not suit in the original version, works wonderfully well in a more rock version of the song. Check out the videos of both versions!

Sarah Brightman and Antonio Banderas

Nightwish

No comments: